This is a short description of the workflow and the settings you have to do, when you want to use a Tentacle with a Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 or 6.
- Open the Tentacle Setup App
- Set the Output Volume to Line
- Make sure that your Tentacle device is in "Green Mode" and outputs timecode (for more info on the Tentacle Setup look: here)
- Connect your Tentacle with the Tentacle to DSLR Mini jack cable to the Aux IN jack of the Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 or 6 on the right panel.
For more information on the Setup App go here.
Setup Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 and 6:
- Go to the Main Menu > System > Mode > Advanced > press OK
- Go to the Main Menu > Input > Aux In Mode > Timecode > press OK
- Go to the Main Menu > Timecode > TC Mode > Aux In 1
Now you can see the running Timecode on the display of your Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 / 6.
As soon as you pull out the Tentacle cable, the Timecode disappears on the display and won't be recorded anymore as well. So in order to sync your Mix-Pre with a camera you have to keep the Tentacle connected to the Mix-Pre 3 / 6 all the time.