This is a short description of the workflow and the settings you have to do, when you want to send timecode from a Tentacle to a Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 or 6.
- Open the Tentacle Setup App
- Set the Output Volume to Line
- Make sure that your Tentacle device is in "Green Mode" and outputs timecode
- Connect your Tentacle with the Tentacle to DSLR Mini jack cable to the Aux IN jack of the Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 or 6 on the right panel.
For more information on the Setup App go here.
Setup Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 and 6:
- Go to the Main Menu > System > Mode > Advanced > press OK
- Go to the Main Menu > Input > Aux In Mode > Timecode > press OK
- Go to the Main Menu > Timecode > TC Mode > Aux In 1
Now you can see the running Timecode on the display of your Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 / 6.
With the first generation of Mix-Pre 3 / 6 the Timecode disappears on the display as soon as you pull out cable from the Tentacle and the timecode recording will stop. In order to sync your first generation Mix-Pre with a camera you have to keep the Tentacle connected to the Mix-Pre 3 / 6 all the time.
Jamming a Tentacle from a Sound Devices Mix-Pre 3 and 6 II:
The second generation of Mix-Pre 3 / 6 recorders have timecode generators built-in. That means it is now possible to jam-sync a Tentacle Sync E from the Mix-Pre 3 / 6 II – if you prefer to do so.
- Set your Mix-Pre 3 / 6 II in 'Advanced' Mode.
- Enter the 'Outputs' menu and select 'Stereo Out Mode' > LTC
- Connect your Tentacle in "Red mode" to Stereo Output using a minijack TRS 3.5mm cable and wait until it is blinking green