The Panasonic Lumix GH5S can be synchronized with Audio TC like any other DSLR / Mirrorless camera via the 3.5mm MIC input.
However it also features the external synchronization via the flash synchro socket. This way the timecode gets embedded into the file during recording. To setup your camera with File TC through the flash synchro socket you need the following cable: Tentacle to Flash Synchro Socket
- Make sure your Tentacle is in Green Mode and outputting timecode
- Please remove the cap from the flash synchro socket on the camera
- Plug in the cable, set the mode dial on the Lumix GH5S > Motion Picture and go to the correspondent menu
- Set the Time Code > Count Up > Free Run
- Select the System Frequency > Rec Quality and Timecode Mode accordingly to the project settings on the Tentacles
- Finally go to Time Code > External TC Setting > TC Link > TC Input
After the camera has been synced to the Tentacle it indicates a reversed TC symbol on the display. This is why we recommend to use the Tentacle as the master clock. You get a visual confirmation that the camera is in sync with the Tentacle. Any time the camera gets switched off you need to repeat the last steps and confirm TC Input.
Please make sure not to connect any external flash light to the flash sync socket when the TC Input is active. It might damage the camera.