Most users who work with RED cameras record in the R3D raw codec. Please note that Audio TC and RAW footage is difficult to handle in postproduction. When recording in any RAW codec we highly recommend to use File TC via the relevant inputs on your camera.
Please synchronize any RED camera with a SYNC port e.g. on the V-LOCK I/O or BASE EXPANDER using the compatible Tentacle to RED 4-pin LEMO cable
On the bigger PRODUCTION MODULE or other RED cams that have a dedicated TIMECODE connector please get a standard Tentacle to LEMO 5-pin cable
Every LEMO cable is directional and these ones are specifically meant to input the timecode into your RED cam. We recommend to work with the Tentacles as masters. Here is some explanation why: How many Tentacles do I need for my setup?
In the Timecode Menu of your RED cam please select accordingly:
1. Menu > Settings > Project > Timecode
2. Select a > Timecode Display Mode
3. Set the source to > External: Brain
This applies to all RED cam models such as:
- RED ONE
- RED DSMC models: SCARLET and EPIC / - DRAGON
- RED DSMC2 models: RAVEN, DRAGON(-X), GEMINI, HELIUM, SCARLET (-W), DRAGON, WEAPON, MONSTRO