Most users, who work with RED cameras, record in the R3D raw codec. Please note, that audio timecode and RAW footage is difficult to handle in post-production. When recording in any RAW codec, we highly recommend to use file timcode via the dedicated inputs on your camera.
Please synchronize any RED camera with a SYNC port e.g. on the V-LOCK I/O or BASE EXPANDER using the compatible Tentacle to RED 4-pin LEMO cable.
On the bigger RED Production Module or other RED cams that feature a dedicated TIMECODE connector please get a standard Tentacle to LEMO 5-pin cable
Every Lemo cable is directional and these cable mentioned above is meant to transmit timecode to your RED cam. We recommend using a SYNC E as a timecode source. Here is some explanation why: How many Tentacles do I need for my setup?
In the Timecode Menu of your RED cam please select accordingly:
- Menu > Settings > Project > Timecode
- Select a > Timecode Display Mode
- Set the source to > External: Brain
This applies to all RED cam models such as:
- RED ONE
- RED DSMC models: Scarlet and Epic / - Dragon
- RED DSMC2 models: Raven, Dragon(-X), Gemini, Helium, Scarlet (-W), Dragon, Weapon, Monstro