There are three ways to sync your Sony FX3 camera with Tentacle ORIGINAL or SYNC E timecode generator.
Setup with SONY FX3 via micro USB port (file TC):
- Update your Sony FX3 camera with this new Sony firmware
- Set your camera: Menu > 7 TC/UB > Timecode Run > Free Run
- Set your Tentacle device and camera to the same frame rate
- Take your synchronized Tentacle running in Green mode so that it's outputting timecode and connect it to the micro USB port on the side of your FX3
- Use these two cables for the connection
- As soon as the cameras has taken the timecode, it will display EXT-LK behind the running TC
We have current information from Sony that there may be deviations of +/- 1 frame or even more when using the Sony timecode adapter cable VMC-BNCM1 with external timecode generators. Therefore we recommend the timecode synchronization via the 3.5mm Mic input as audio timecode if this is feasible in the workflow.
Setup with Sony FX3 via 3.5mm mic input (audio TC):
- Start your Tentacle in "Green Mode" so it generates timecode.
- Set the output volume to mic.
- Connect your Tentacle with the included Tentacle to DSLR cable to the mic input of the camera.
- Adjust the input level of the mic input of the camera, so it's not clipping.
Setup with Sony FX3 via XLR input of handle (audio TC):
- Set your Tentacle to "Green Mode" in order to let it generate timecode.
- Set the SYNC E or ORIGINAL output volume accordingly to the XLR input settings: MIC or LINE.
- Connect your Tentacle with the included Tentacle to DSLR cable to the XLR input of the camera handle.
- Adjust the input level of the XLR Input, so it's not clipping.
Please keep any timecode generator connected to the camera at all times. Without the continuous connection the camera's timecode will drift within less than 30 minutes.