The Zoom H6 has no built-in Timecode generator (although the files it produces seem to have Timecode – this pseudo Timecode comes from the internal and very imprecise Real Time Clock). Therefore you need a Tentacle SYNC E or ORIGINAL Timecode generator to record the Timecode information onto one of the audio tracks of the H6 recorder.
If you are using the H6 together with a Tentacle device, plug the Tentacle into one of the inputs via a suitable adapter cable or into the 3.5mm TRS minijack on the XYH-6 capsule.
Setting up your Zoom H6:
- Switch on your Tentacle device and sync it via Tentacle setup app (iOS/Android)
- Open the Setup App and set your Tentacle to Output Volume > Mic
- Set your frame rate
- Connect the Tentacle to the XYH-6 capsule with the included cable (Tentacle to DSLR) or to one of the XLR inputs with one of these cables: Tentacle to XLR or Tentacle to 6.3mm jack cable
- Activate the channel with the Audio TC coming from the Tentacle for recording
- Adjust incoming Timecode signal so that it's not clipping
Monitoring the recording:
The Zoom H6 provides a feature to mix the monitoring signal. If you like to mute the Audio TC on your headphones, please proceed as follows:
- Press on the Menu button
- Select "Input & Output"
- Then select "Monitor Mixer"
- In "Monitor Mix" change the parameters until the channel with the Audio TC is muted
- Finally, go back to the main screen and check, if the meters of the Audio TC track are still present to make sure that they get recorded