The Zoom H6 has no built-in timecode generator (although the files it produces seem to have timecode - this pseudo timecode comes from the internal and very imprecise Real Time Clock). Therefore we need a Tentacle SYNC E or ORIGINAL timecode generator, which makes it possible to record the timecode information onto one of the appendant audio tracks of the H6 recorder.
The Zoom H6 is capable to record 6 channels in total. It has 4 XLR / 6.3mm jack inputs plus the stereo signal from the XYH-6 capsule. If you are using the H6 together with Tentacle you have to either plug it into one of the inputs via a suitable adapter cable or into the 3.5mm TRS minijack on the XYH-6 capsule.
Setting up your Zoom H6:
- Switch on your Tentacle device and sync it via Tentacle setup app (iOS/Android)
- Open the Setup App and set your Tentacle to Output Volume > Mic
- Set your frame rate
- Connect the Tentacle to the XYH-6 capsule with the included cable > Tentacle to DSLR OR to one of the XLR inputs with this cable > Tentacle to XLR OR the > Tentacle to 6.3mm jack cable
- Activate the channel with the Audio TC coming from the Tentacle for recording
- Adjust incoming timecode signal so that it's not clipping
Monitoring the recording:
Unfortunately the Zoom H6 doesn't feature any option to mute the Audio TC on your headphones like the Zoom H4N does.
This means you would have to use only one side of the earplugs for monitoring or listening to the Audio TC along your other channels. However it has to be set at least to -12dB in order to be readable in any software afterwards.