The Tentacle Timebar app enables you to synchronize your GoPro cameras. The synchronization is realized through a generated QR code from the app.
Proceed as follows for GoPro HERO 9 & 10:
- Download & install the latest GoPro Labs firmware
- Download the latest Timebar App for iOS or Android
- Open the Timebar app and choose one of your synchronized Tentacle devices
- Tap on the small, orange QR code icon on the upper right corner of your screen > QR Timecode (Beta)
- Turn on your GoPro camera and hold the QR code on your mobile device in the GoPro's field of view (visualized by a small QR-code check icon in the GoPro display)
- The camera then automatically recognizes the QR code and synchronizes its internal timecode generator to the displayed time
- The timecode is stored as metadata in the GoPro files
Additionally you can set GoPro's framerate to your SYNC E/TRACK E framerate via the QR code. You find a menu option for this in the settings of the Timebar app. Keep in mind that our framerate naming conventions differ.
This makes it possible to visually synchronize GoPro cameras to the Tentacle Sync timecode.
Now it is easily possible to synchronize GoPro cameras in a Multicam setup with all other cameras and audio recorders, that are fed with timecode by a Tentacle SYNC E timecode generator.
- GoPros have a latency between "seeing" the QR-code and writing it to the internal clock. We can compensate this gap by sending an offset along with the TC. The preconfigured -1100ms are tested with HERO 9 and HERO 10 GoPros. Keep in mind that this compensation only works with GoPro Labs firmware, which supports the TCAL command (only labs firmware > April 2022).
- Keep in mind that time drifting over the day depends on GoPros internal clock (unless you re-sync your GoPro). So for long running shoots it's always better to attach a SYNC E directly to the GoPro.
- Information for GoPro HERO 7 & 8: HERO 7 and HERO 8 do NOT support the TCAL command to compensate for GoPro latency. Therefore, it is NOT possible to calibrate them. You can still use the QR code for synchronization, but the offset must be compensated manually in post (move the whole video track once).
- We cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of information provided by third-party manufacturers, so we recommend that you contact these third-party manufacturers directly if you have any questions regarding their devices.